Government Facing Financial Limitations to Fund Infrastructure Projects: Nitin Gadkari

Nitin Gadkari stated that the government is facing financial limitations to fund infrastructure projects. The goal of making the Indian economy worth USD 5 trillion by 2024 seems a daunting task because of the persisting slowdown.

Lack of Finance

Road Transport and Highways Minister, Nitin Gadkari said at, CRISIL India Infrastructure Conclave, that it is difficult for the government to support all the infrastructural projects as they require heavy investments. Thus, the government will make efforts to establish a public-private investment model that will benefit both parties. Also, he asked the financial institutions to lend full support to the government policies to enhance the investment in infrastructure.


The agency estimates 7.5% average GDP growth required for economic growth of the country. CRISIL concluded that India requires an overall increase of 3.5 times in expenditure to meet infrastructural targets. The infrastructure expenditure must increase to Rs 235 lakh crore over the next decade with states contribution of Rs 110-125 lakh crore. It also suggested a resurgence of the GST framework and project development to open new avenues for investment.

Efforts Made

The infrastructure projects just attracted Rs 98,100 crore as investment from the private sector over the last five years. This is despite the launch of the Hybrid Annuity Model (HAM). The policy aimed to encourage investment by government’s contribution of 40% of the total construction expenditure and the rest 60% in annuity payment along with interest. Moreover, the government appointed a panel headed by, Atanu Chakraborty, an economic affairs secretary, to increase the worth of the central government’s infrastructure projects to Rs 100 trillion by 2024-25.

States Role

States already contributed Rs 77 lakh crore that is 41% of the total for infrastructural development expenditure over the decade. About two-thirds of this was spent on transport, irrigation, energy, urban & housing, and water and sanitation. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu are said to be the top-performing states in infrastructural development with large industrial bases.

The bottom line is that the government needs to provide some lucrative incentives for private investors.

9 thoughts on “Government Facing Financial Limitations to Fund Infrastructure Projects: Nitin Gadkari

  1. The Hybrid Annuity Model (HAM) Model for Infrastructure Financing is a welcome step. However, in order to make this model more attractive for Corporate Sector Investment and FDI in Infra Sector, Govt should contribute 60% Project Funds and Contractor should invest 40% Project Funds. This will help Contractors to ensure Financial Closure for the Projects. Also, Indian Banks need to be more aggressive than the current state of affairs, to lend to contractor for HAM Projects.
    HAM based Infra Financing can be used in Road, Water Projects across India by Central and State Agencies very successfully.
    Klartiti TaxCorp LLP

  2. Thanks for your marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.
    I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back down the road.
    I want to encourage you to continue your great writing, have a nice holiday weekend!

    England Trøje Børn

  3. Pingback: Google
  4. Pingback: indian visa
  5. Pingback: pet life today
  6. Pingback: assessment quiz

Leave a Reply

Get Verified Suppliers of Rice, Wheat, Dry Fruits, Pulses and Other Grains